With the increasing amount of baby strollers on the market, it’s hard to find the best double stroller for you and your family. The problems associated with them have grown at the same rate as the innovation of each feature. There are a lot of factors that have to be taken into consideration while buying your stroller. The very first thing to take into consideration is the type of double stroller you want. Basically there are three types of them:
- Side-by-side Double Stroller: Simply put, they have stroller seats beside each other. This is the best when it comes to taking your twins around. Both spaces have the same area, so your kids can see one another rather than being separated as in the tandem strollers. This also enables you to give the children equal attention and they can keep each other company during walks. The handle is one wide bar, which you have to push with both hand for maneuvering around. You have to keep in mind that they are wide, hence sometimes it will be difficult to go through doors and other narrow spaces.
- Tandem Double Stroller: A tandem double baby stroller has the seats behind one another. The back seat usually has more room than the front one, so it better than side-by-side if you don’t have twins. They are narrower in width, which is its main advantage over the side-by-side counterpart. Moving around on footpaths, narrow doors, and crowded streets is easier with tandem strollers. They are also lighter, and comfortable for infants.
- Convertible Double Stroller: If you are raising children of different ages, convertible double stroller is the best option. You can attach or remove a seat as per requirement. They can be added either adjacent to each other or above one another. It can be a great helper if you are looking to innovate while going outside, or just a change for the kids. The stroller can be bought one at a time, that makes it even more feasible compared to the cumbersome process of selling your single stroller and then buying a double stroller to accommodate the second child. Nowadays most single strollers can be upgraded with a simple conversion kit.
The top 5 double strollers in the market:
Britax B-Agile Double Stroller:
- Easy to fold, steer and maneuver
- The ability fully recline
- Adjustability of the handle
- Big basket for storage
- Only able to add one car seat at a time
- Only a few color options
Review Summary: It is one of the best looking double strollers in the market. The adjustable foam handle bar is a pleasing accessory compared to other strollers. The canopies are big and waterproof, but have only one window. The buckles are easy to snap on and release. This is a very sturdy customer with wonderful steering control. It is not the largest of double strollers out there as City Mini has more leg room than Britax. The wheels are plastic, not rubber. They have an amazing customer support who answer to your queries immediately. They are available in two colors, and have no cup holders or trays.
Britax B-Ready Convertible Double Stroller:
- Goes from single to double
- 14 seating configurations
- Large storage basket and canopy
- Heavy to push and lift as double
- May not fit through doorways
- Large when folded
Reviews Summary: It is, hands down the best convertible double stroller. The overall frame of the stroller is strong, and the grip around the handle bars are comfortable to hold. Even though it is heavy, the stroller is extremely maneuverable. Both seats can be reclined with an adjustable bar behind the stroller. The windows have magnets that are a plus when compared to Velcro shutters. The cost of accessories that accompany it are more expensive compared to Graco or City Mini. The swivel wheels can be locked into place. Fold is two hand.
Graco Ready2Grow Classic Connect LX Stroller:
- Incredibly easy to steer.
- Has a really cool jumpseat
- Stays standing up when you fold it up
- Decent size basket.
- Has many cute colors to choose from.
- The brake is BIG.
- It is too big to be even fit into sedans.
- Large when folded.
Reviews Summary: Though it looks pretty small, it is very heavy. The frame is brilliant with a robust build composition. Steering is good, easy to turn with adjustable handle bars. The cushions in the strollers sink deep, which is bad for skinny children or infants. The front seat reclines completely, which is so nice for an infant or a sleeping child. There is still room for the child in the back when the front seat is reclined, which is great. The brakes are huge, and sometimes children can kick it and accidentally stopping the stroller, as it is right under their feet and just a long bar. There is one cup holder that comes along with the double stroller, additional holders can be added later.
InStep Safari Swivel Wheel Double Jogger:
- Has great maneuverability.
- Very comfortable seats.
- Comes in multiple colors.
- Build quality is bad.
- The cup holder is small.
- Needs a pump to pressurize the tires.
Reviews Summary: This stroller isn’t very heavy. The canopies are sturdy and easy to position. The swivel seats are amazing! Making them incredibly easy to maneuver with a set of great brakes. Folding is a little difficult as exerting the slightest amount of force can break the frame. It comes with a cup holder and a tray, and the baskets are made of fabric which makes it even more comfortable. Though a bulky side-by-side, it fits through most public doorways without a problem. The tires are pneumatic, which makes walking around with this stroller a breeze.
Baby Jogger 2011 City Mini Double Stroller
- Great design, and very comfortable.
- Feels roomy.
- Large basket.
- Very expensive.
- No accessories.
Reviews Summary: It is lightweight and easily fits into the trunk of a sedan. The quality of seats are really exceptional. The folding is easier compared to other strollers. The canopies provide great coverage and there is enough space between the two seats that allow each child to have their own space. It turns with one hand and goes through doorways well. The storage is large underneath, however it is only accessible from the side-stores what you should need to carry underneath. There are no cup holders and other accessories, they would have to be bought separately. The tires are made of plastic despite the cost.
What to avoid while buying the double stroller?
- Price:Some of the strollers in the market are exuberantly overpriced. Best is to avoid the ones that have no value of buck. One tip is to avoid fancy strollers that come with cup holders and organizers. They are overpriced, and you can buy a separate cup holder and integrate it into the stroller without any hassle.
- Joints and Folds:If there are too many joints, they will start to creak in the long run which can be vexing. Though you may not be able to fold a double with just one hand, it should still be easy to collapse and hoist into most car trunks. A locking fold is a bonus.
- Steering: Some cheap tandems are near impossible to steer, especially around tight corners. Smaller wheels mean lesser steering. Go for large wheel strollers if you have a big car.
- Bad brakes and handles:The brakes need to engage smoothly with \out bringing you and the stroller to an abrupt halt. The wheels need to swivel easily in uneven terrains.
- Bad quality material:Some of them might look good, but their harnesses offer less protection or if the seats are not made of durable material, it is best left alone. Good strollers come with five-point harness and good material that remains great even as your kids grow up.
Finding the right Double Stroller for you
The good news is there are a lot of options when looking at double baby strollers. So many in fact in can be overwhelming to find the right one. My best words of advice would be to do read all the reviews and information we provide on our site and look at other sites as well. Come up with a list of double stroller units you really like. Then go to a baby store and test drive different options. Really it comes down to what feels right for you. Just remember to keep in mind some of the tips we’ve provided here.